Friday, June 26, 2009

Goodbye to Farrah and Michael Jackson

What an incredibly sad day yesterday was! It wasn't until late in the afternoon that I learned that Farrah Fawcett had lost her 2+ year battle with Anal Cancer, but then right after I got out of the Dr's office at 6:30, I heard on the radio about Michael Jackson! What a major shocker!

I've got to say though that I feel bad for Farrah. Her death was so tragic because she fought so very hard. Anal Cancer is such a difficult disease to fight...believe me, I know. My previous significant other, Alan, died of the same thing.

The cancer, which begins as a tumor in the anus, is so much different than colo-rectal cancer. It's infinitely more painful to begin with. Colorectal Cancer is more in the colon, and inside the colon there are no nerve endings, which is why that cancer has been dubbed "The silent Killer". Anal cancer is located in the actual anus, which is lined with one of the most intense nerve clusters in the human body. Alan said that he was always in pain from that tumor and it's location where it was. He had to sit down oh, so gently when he sat in even the softest chair.

It's seems traditional for this cancer to spread from there to the liver. For the life of me, I'll never understand why. From there it moved from Alans liver into his lungs and his lymph nodes. As soon as we knew it had gotten into his lymph nodes we knew that his chances had decreased significantly. I understand that Farrah was lucky somewhat, in that she didn't get hit with the lymphatic cancer right away, and I believe that it's possible that is the reason that she got more time to fight than Alan did. It took Alan only 8 months to pass away after the inset of his cancer. Farrah got two and a half years of fight. I'm oddly proud of her for it, even though I never got the chance to meet her and have no right to be proud of her. I've watched her throughout her entire career though, and I feel as though I know her.

My heart goes out to Ryan O'Neal, whose life over the past two and a half years I have incredible empathy for. It's a horrible ride Mr. O'Neal, and I know...words cannot express how it was, or how you feel. Just hang in there. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it makes it so that you can remember the good times more than you remember the bad times...and that alone is a huge help. Until then, hang with your family and friends...or whatever support system you have. You'll never make it on your own. You have to let the experiences of the past three years out...all the horror of it all. Only then can you begin to heal.

The first time I ever saw Farrah I think was on "I Dream of Jeannie," where I believe that she played one of Major Healy's girlfriends...but it was a very very long time ago. I also remember watching her through all of her commercials...until the NOTORIOUS 1970's iconic poster which made her the Queen of all things Blonde. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed her so much...she was the Queen of the Blondes?

MJ on the other hand...what can one say about him? Talk about a lifetime of ups and downs! When he was on the up, he was AWESOME! When he was down...wow...you can't get any lower. I'll choose to remember him for the Superstar that he was rather than the other. The man made some incredible music and changed the face of music in the 80's. He helped bring the music video art form to a brand new level not seen by anyone up to that time. He was amazing, and he will be sorely missed. I would have liked to have seen him successfully resurrect his career, as was what this batch of upcoming tours and concerts in London were supposed to do for him.

I think his tragedy is that he was only 50. I mean really, that's only 6 years older than I am right now! They are talking on the news at this very moment about how it might take toxicology 7-10 days to come back with the results of his bloodwork and what drugs might be in his system. There was an interview a few minutes ago with one person who said that they saw him just last week, and they thought that he looked overmedicated. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Anna Nicole Smith type death....that would be so very sad, and such a waste! You would think that Doctor's would pay a lot more attention to what they are prescribing and mixing up for their patients, and the way that these drugs effect each other. People like MJ are especially vulnerable to things like that, as he was probably 100% trusting that his doctors were doing the right things for him. It's all so very, very sad.

Well, I've chatted myself out on the subject here. The only thing I have left to say is "Rest in Peace Farrah and Michael." You both made the world a better place by being in it.

No comments: