Tuesday, September 9, 2008

And Finally, After Two Years....

I've broken down and bought a car.  It's been too too long since I've done that.  

It was two years ago in June when I hurt myself, and then in October the finance company decided to repo it just three days before the doctor released me to go back to work.  Since that time I've been driving my roommates car when I needed it, but now he's hit a stage in his life where he can no longer be so cooperative with his vehicle.  I had no choice.  I also had virtually no time to decide.

I bought a 1997 Dodge Intrepid.  It's the same make and model as my last car, but a few years older as my last one was a 2001.  It was a GREAT car, and it never once made me regret purchasing it.  I know I put over 90k miles on it during the two years I owned it, with only one major breakdown.  This one however, is making me a bit afraid.

It's a special model, and it's white.  I hate white cars, as they show every single little spec of dust that they can and just generally always look dirty.  Of course, since the tree out in back of my house has become a haven for every flocking bird in the city, white may be a good color for disguise!  We will have to wait and see.  What make the model special though is the transmission, which can switch from automatic to manual at the flip of a switch.  I can't imagine a use for this, but it is an interesting selling factor as very very few of these were ever made.   In a nutshell, that's what scares me.  "Why" did they only make a few of them.  What was the problem???

The mechanic that looked at it says that the main problems that this vehicle had was that the flywheel consistently broke on them.  I have no idea how expensive it is to replace a flywheel, but it certainly sounds expensive, and I can't afford major repairs...thats for sure!  He also said that I need to replace the bushings in the front right away (whatever those are) but that was a relatively inexpensive fix.  I sure hope so.

Anyway, I guess that's step two in getting my life back to a bit of normalcy.  Wish me luck!!

Mykey

No comments: