Thursday, December 11, 2008

November wasn't a total loss!



Hey all!  I won the Nanowrimo Challenge!!!!!  I wrote 50,000 words toward a novel!  Unfortunately the novel is only about one-third done, but it's a good start on one.  Once December and the Christmas madness is over, I will take January and start writing on it and editing it, and with a little luck I'll go ahead and publish it.  Right now it's not very good, so I'm not even going to put an excerpt up for your perusal.  

Things are really rough right now otherwise.  I've been having a LOT of financial trouble since I've dropped down to part time.  I did that just because of the pain, which has been a bit overbearing lately...especially for the past three months.  I've been all over my Doctors about this, and they've come up with a few new things for me...things that scare the hell out of me.

Yesterday I started the Fentanyl patch--100 mg.  It is supposed to take the place of the Oxycontin.  I'll be honest and admit to being surprised at how well it's done as far as satisfying my dependence on the Oxycontin.  I figured that if I went off of the Oxycontin altogether after being on it for more than a year that I'd be climbing the walls needing it.  I guess the Fentanyl is pretty strong if it's good enough to cover that craving.  It's either that, or I'm just so saturated with the Oxy that I've not had the opportunity to withdraw yet, which I find highly unlikely.

If you have read up on Fentanyl, you'll see that there are about a million lawsuits regarding the patch right now.  First off, before you  all worry, please be aware that these are for the 25 and 50 mg patch, and those are from a completely different manufacturer than the one that I get mine from.  If you are worrying about the side effects, well....so am I.  Please be aware that I am watching them with all of my paranoidness, which is quite considerable.

The next step is to consider a transdermal system that provides electric shocks to deaden the nerves in my back.  This SOUNDS fairly safe, but I don't know how I feel about being opened up again, even if it is just a minor opening to hide a battery pack.  The doctor's compare this to a pacemaker, and I guess that there are a lot of folks who have those, and I probably shouldn't worry about it.  If it will help me though, I really should consider it.  Right now, I'll stick with the Fentanyl patches though, at least long enough to give them a fair shake.

Christmas...Ugh.  Well folks this year Christmas is all BUT cancelled.  I can't even afford to put up a tree this year.  The only thing that I've been able to do is bake, and I'm doing the best I can with that.  So far I have Chocolate Chipper cookies, Fantasy Bars (yep, they live up to their name) and finally I have some "Electric Snowballs" to distribute to those who like the alcoholic candy.  I've still got Cherry Bars, Pumpkin Bread, and I have some candy melts to make a few chocolate covered Cherries with, but not a lot of time to make those.  I'll try my best though.  The rest of the time I'm going to have to beat my head to try to make ends meet.

Take care everyone, and have a great season!  Email me if you have time!

Mike

No comments: